Sunday, September 20, 2015

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest- As The Director

‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest’ had piqued my interest ever since my psychology teacher had once recommended it in class but I never really got around to watching it. Naturally, when I saw its title on the list, I jumped at the chance of getting to read the script. But as my initial excitement about getting to write about directing such a critically acclaimed film faded I realized what an intimidating task I had put myself up to. Nonetheless, it was an interesting experience.

I started my reading with a kind of emotional detachment so as to be able to analyze the script properly but I couldn’t help but be involved. And I feel like a script like this requires a degree of emotional involvement. The audience’s emotional involvement is quite important for the film. The director needs to make the audience care about this film and its characters to have an impact.

The film’s plot follows the story of McMurphy, a rebel who gets himself transferred to a mental institution from a prison to live in a less restrictive environment, and his revolt against the authoritarian head nurse, Miss Ratched. McMurphy is a unique protagonist in the sense that he doesn’t really fit the ideal heroic rebel prototype. He is loud, brash, crass and sexual- not the most appealing characteristics in a main character. But as the plot progresses you realize that he is also free-spirited and independent, unwilling to give in to oppression. He is the only one sane enough to understand how the patients are being suppressed by Nurse Ratched. She is more occupied with maintaining order and control rather than looking after the mental welfare of the patients, and he is the only one courageous enough to do something about it. As the director I would lay emphasis on the contrast between McMurphy’s non-conformity and Nurse Ratched’s rigidity and control. The conflict between McMurphy and Nurse Ratched is the focal point of the film. It is what leads to the progression of the plot and the subsequent end.

McMurphy’s character development is one of my favourite aspects of the script.The way he begins to care about his fellow patients and becomes willing to take responsibility for the consequences of the actions he has taken to bring them some joy.  he sees them as individuals and not mere lunatics. It is so subtle yet incredibly touching. I would pay special attention to crafting his character development in a way that it translates well from the script to the screen, since it has the potential to be even more heart-warming on-screen. Visuals can also be used to establish a greater empathetic connection with the audience. 

While reading the script, I was trying to imagine the general look of the film and thinking about how interesting it would be if the film was to be in black and white, when it struck me that it would be quite compelling if the film was in colour but there were not many colours to see inside the mental institution. It would really emphasize the monotony and dullness in the patients’ lives and how they are trapped inside a gray world.


Entrapment is an important theme in the film because the patients at the institution are not only trapped in that environment but they are trapped inside their heads too. I’d make use of mise-en-scene in the set design to establish this theme. Making use of frame within a frame shots would also be helpful to show their isolation and how they are cut off from the real world even when they get to be outside. Hence, these aspects of design combined with the emotional message can be used to get the audience involved and have an impactful effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment